Tuesday 18 December 2007

Surfing at the Mar del Plata



The first picture is the group at the hotel in the Mar del Plata. The second picture is Stephen and three friends from his Spanish class - all boys! His poor teacher...I think they were asking her how to say all kinds of naughty things in Spanish!

Stephen and I took a weekend trip to the Mar del Plata with the students from the language school. It was a really nice beach 5 hours away from Buenos Aires (by slow bus).

The water was cold, but the sun was warm and very strong. In fact, Stephen got a bad sunburn on Saturday because he left his sunblock in the wrong bag. He is still peeling!
On Sunday, we all took surfing lessons. The instructor was very impressed with my surfing (although I have done it before and most of the people in our group were complete beginners). Lucas, the surfing instructor, had an 11ft board. I think he is the 4th ranked longboarder in South America. Once I surfed a few waves near the shore, we took the board further out and rode a couple of big waves tandem. I am getting much better. It really helps to have someone paddle you out and push you into the waves though. His surfboard has an orange stripe right down the middle. He had me align myself with the stripe for more balance. It really worked well. I am going to have to paint one on my foamboard...I am really excited about practicing some more. Stephen was a bit miffed after the lesson because Lucas spent a lot more time with the girls than the boys...

No comments: