Wednesday 20 February 2008

Sydney Aquarium






We went to the Sydney Aquarium today. I wanted to go to see the marine animals just in case I don't see many of them when I am getting my diving certification. I'm sure this is an unfounded fear, but it helped to convince Stephen that the costly entry fee was worth it!


Stephen and I were especially interested in the saltwater crocodile. I always thought the difference between crocodiles and alligators had something to do with the snout, but it turns out the difference is really in their bite. When a crocodile has has mouth closed you can see both the top and bottom teeth whereas when an alligator shuts his mouth you can only see the top set of teeth. An alligator's bottom teeth fit in special sockets so they are not visible when his mouth is closed. Interesting!


Anyway - I am going to attach my favorite pictures. It was a bit difficult to take them through the glass so please try to ignore the reflection and slightly hazy appearance of the pictures. My absolute favorite is the photo of the nurse shark's jaws as he passed over me when we were in the clear tubes walking through the shark tank. That is also an incredibly large stingray in case you are wondering...

No comments: