Thursday 27 March 2008

Great Barrier Reef Diving






















Great Barrier Reef Diving Trip

Rough seas getting out of the harbour which meant you had to chase your breakfast around the table and then sit in the middle of the boat trying to be nice to your new 'buddies' without throwing up on them. Tried to take a reference guide for all the fish but as soon as you looked to see what they were they had scapered under a rock or something. The reef is like a huge aquarium. Millions of different fish - you just get mesmerized and eventually a bit further away from the boat than you should.

Good things
Hanging under the boat at night with torches and watching 2 reef sharks circling in the gloom. Realised I had stopped breathing for 60 seconds. Not sure how yummy I looked to them but I tried to make myself look a little slimmer campared to the others just in case. Night diving is like exploring another planet like in the films. Always make sure you're not at the back getting eaten by aliens. The scariest thing was getting out of the water and seeing the sharks at the surface aggresively chase the fish out of the water under the floodlights of the boat!
Blood orange moon rising at dusk over the ocean
Favourite fishy things - giant purple sea star that looked like huge draught excluder and a giant flowery cod - 70s paisly patterned fish about 6 feet long and stupid looking.
Took Becky on her first non guided dive and realised that she can't nag under water. She has to pull my flippers to get my attention. Will have to put this into practice on dry land.
Glorious sunrises

Bad things
Getting up at 5.30am to see glorious sunrises before struggling into cold wet suits and jumping in with loads of heavy stuff on your back.

Freezing rain downpour while practising using a compass on the rear deck of the boat. Had to navigate a square which is fairly easy when you're on a boat with only 10 square feet to work in. Harder, I found out when you're in the sea at night and you've got a current trying to take you to Fiji.
Having to get rescued by the dingy on the first dive having ended up miles away from the boat. Were dragged back to the boat on the 'tow of shame'. Fell off the rope twice
Jumping into the water without my breathing respirator in place.
Getting stuck under the boat due to too much buoyancy. Looked a bit stupid flapping against the hull. I thought the crew were going to start throwing fish. Need to eat more pies.
Still rubbish at clearing my mask and had to do half a dive with a facefull of sea water.
No matter what you see someone always sees something bigger, better or more scary.
We were told that you can't get lost diving on the reef. It's true, I always find the boat. It's just that the boat is a little further away than I expect when I appear above the surface, much to the dismay of my instructors. Anyway, am now advanced diver. Learn from your mistakes as they say...


Underwater photos courtesy of Ivy and Andy from our trip...

1 comment:

joshua said...

I gotta say that this is one of the best blogs I've ever visited yet.

Congrats! Take these words like a blossom blessing as I'm bloging around.

PALAVROSSAVRVS REX